If you’re facing a move, you know how essential boxes are to the packing process. First off, let’s go into more depth on the boxes themselves and what purpose they serve. How cardboard is folded and constructed is important. They come in a couple of varieties, each defined by the cubic feet of space they hold.
Anatomy of a Moving Box
Several factors define what kind a box is. Here’s a look at a few of them. Keep these in mind when choosing boxes for your stuff.
- Flute: These are the folds between the cardboard that give the walls their strength and width.
- Box Wall: These are the sides of the box. The thicker the box walls, the heavier and more structurally sound they are. The thickness will be determined by the flute. Pick up some double and triple wall boxes for your kitchen and dish boxes to add extra support and cushion for delicate materials.
- Cube: These range from book/small (1-1.5 cu/ft) to extra large (6-7.5 cu/ft). Smaller boxes are also called 1.5 cubes or book boxes. They’re called book boxes for a reason, so place your books in here. As you can imagine, these can get pretty heavy, so this is why movers use dollies to stack book boxes.
Packing Small Boxes
When packing a small box, remember that size matters. Take precautions to ensure safe transit. Follow these steps to packing small boxes.
- Place a layer of packing paper or bubble wrap at the bottom of the box.
- Insert the valuables or other items. Fill any gaps with loose, crumpled paper.
- Continue the process until you are a couple of inches from the top of the box. Separate each layer of packaged goods with another layer of packing paper.
- Close and seal the lid with tape. Write “FRAGILE” with marker in bold, legible letters, as well as “TOP LOAD ONLY.” This way, your movers will know to be careful when moving and stacking that particular box.
Contact Portland Move
Need help with packing? We can help. We bring all the supplies and equipment to not only pack up your most valuable stuff but to transport it as well. Contact us today at (971) 226-6687 to get a free quote for your local move. We are located at 3720 SW 141st Ave, Unit 208 in Beaverton, OR for your convenience. Our hours are 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. 7 days a week.