If you are getting ready to move, check out our handy moving checklist to get prepared. Whether you’re moving this month or a few months from now, it’s important to be prepared so the move goes smoothly.
4 or More Weeks Out
- Come up with an inventory of all your belongings. This way, you will have something concrete to submit to your insurance company if you have additional coverages.
- Donate or trash any unwanted items, from clothing to furniture.
- Contact your insurance companies and update them on your new address.
- Create a contact list for everyone that should be notified of your move.
- Call at least three moving companies and get quotes. Make a selection and book them.
- Arrange to shut off and transfer all utilities, such as:
3-4 Weeks Out
- Gather all the moving supplies you will need for the move. If you need help, call us.
- Set up utility and furniture/appliance delivery appointments at the new home.
- Start packing and organizing. Begin with the least used rooms in your home.
- Dispose of any chemicals or paints you can’t take with you.
1-2 Weeks Out
- Check all furniture, taking note of damage such as marks or scuffs. Keep these notes with your itemized packing list.
- Set aside boxes that need to be opened first in the new place. Keep these separate from other boxes so you don’t have to go searching for things later.
- Make arrangements for child and pet care for moving day so they stay safe and occupied.
- Make an extra set of keys.
- Clean and disconnect all appliances.
Less Than a Week Out
- Start eating all the perishable food in your fridge because you can’t take it with you. Use paper plates and plastic utensils if your dishes are already packed.
- Pack a travel bag for your kids which should contain their favorite toy, comfort item and snacks.
- Disassemble furniture such as desks and bookcases, adding small nuts and bolts to small, labeled plastic baggies.
The Night Before the Move
- Place all boxes where they can be easily moved in the morning. Make sure they’re properly labeled and secured.
- Get a good night’s sleep!
The Day of the Move
- Have a healthy breakfast so you have enough energy for the day. Wear comfortable clothing and sneakers.
- Give the movers a quick walk through when they arrive, pointing out delicate items that need special attention, showing them what should be loaded first, and answering any questions.
- Make sure the movers have the correct new address.
- Once at the new address, give the movers another quick walkthrough so they know what goes where.
Now that moving day is done, you can start the process of unpacking one room at a time. See, that wasn’t so bad!