How many movers do I need in my Portland move?
There’s no across-the-board answer for this question. Every move is different, and the number of movers required will depend heavily on how big of a house you’re moving, how much stuff you have, and fragile or large items you have (pianos, antiques, etc.), among other things. It may also depend on the season, too. In peak moving season, movers may be at a premium so you may only get the bare minimum.
You can also choose to hire more people to get your relocation done quickly. Just keep in mind, you will pay more. It’s all about finding the right balance.
Factors That Will Determine Number
Here’s a look in more depth at what factors are involved in selecting the right number of movers:
- Amount of Item: This will be determined at the in-home estimate. If you can create an inventory beforehand, especially of large, awkward, or valuable items that will need extra care, this will help immensely.
- The size of the move: It takes more movers to handle a large home as opposed to a small one. Two people can easily handle a two-bedroom apartment move, for example, but you will need more manpower for a larger four-bedroom house.
- Number of people are in the household: You may have a large house but if it’s just you living there, you won’t need as many movers because presumably you will have less stuff. If you have a small ranch but you’re a family of five, you’ll need more manpower because there are more items to move from more rooms of the same house.
- Your lifestyle: If you’re a minimalist at heart, you may only need one or two movers. If you’re a hoarder or have accumulated a lot of items over the years, you’ll need more than that.
- The type of items you plan to move: If you’re an art collector or have a lot of game room equipment such as pool tables and arcade games, this will require much more manpower, not just to lift it all but to prepare it for careful transport as well. Standard moves may require only two movers, while homes with lots of large items to move, such as safes, hot tubs and large appliances, may need three or four movers.
- Your packing plan: If you are going to handle all the packing yourself and all boxes will be ready to go when the movers arrive, you won’t need as much help. If you hire movers to help you pack, you will need more help.
- How prepared you are: If you have all your stuff stacked in the front room or on the lawn ready to go in the truck when the movers pull up, fewer movers will be needed. If you are not prepared and are still throwing things in boxes all over the house when they arrive, you will need more movers and it will take more time.
Contact Portland Move
Let us help. We can visit you for an in-home estimate and let you know at that time how many movers we will assign to your relocation. To book your appointment, contact us at (971) 226-6687.